In accordance with the national curriculum, our intention at Hadlow Primary School is to:-
- Communicate our passion for language, and encourage an appreciation of the etymology and morphology of our home language.
- Provide an introduction to the culture of French-speaking countries and communities, and, as global citizens in an increasingly accessible world, to explore and celebrate other cultures.
- Foster pupils’ curiosity, extend their understanding of the world and tolerance of all cultures, and ensure that the ambitious language-learning opportunities we provide are not limited by ability.
- Enable pupils to express their ideas and thoughts in another language, to understand, interact and communicate with others (both verbally and in writing), and to gradually build on skills learned.
- Provide opportunities for pupils to communicate for practical purposes, and to improve the quality of their pronunciation and intonation.
- Elicit a love of French and language-learning, and to show our pupils that learning a language can be fun.
- Link, where possible, with other curriculum subjects to provide cross-curriculuar opportunities to illustrate that learning a language is more beneficial and richer when learned in collaboration with other subjects.
- Provide a foundation for learning further languages, to facilitate the possibility of study and work in other countries.
(In Lower KS2, children acquire basic skills and understanding of French with a strong emphasis placed on developing their Speaking and Listening skills. These will be embedded and further developed in Upper KS2, alongside Reading and Writing, gradually progressing onto more complex language concepts and greater learner autonomy.)
Modern Foreign Languages is taught in KS2.
Our School's language is French and we teach this from the Rising Stars French curriculum.
Topics covered include:
- Simple greetings (bonjour, au revoir)
- Basic conversation (what is your name? How old are you? Are you ok? Yes, No etc)
- Numbers from 1- 50
- Birthdays, Christmas,
- Months of the year and days of the week
- Body parts
French in year 4
Year 4 have been really enjoying their French! We have been learning through songs, games and other interactive activities. Topics we have covered so far are:
- Our favourite sports
- Days of the week
- Months of the year
- Our birthdays
- The weather
- Ordering in a cafe